Thursday, February 11, 2010

Weight Loss After Pregnancy

Weight loss had always been an objective of mine right after my pregnancy. After all those days of fattening up for the sake of my baby, it was finally my time to get back to my pre-pregnant weight. I started off with a weigh-in and a long look in the mirror. I had so many problem areas to deal with and I had a deadline to meet. I had psyched myself up to lose as much weight, the safest way before my son’s christening which was in 4 months time. Since all our friends and family will be attending, I had promised to look my best for that day.

I forgot to mention that during the entire pregnancy, I was pretty much in hiding, not because I was ashamed of how I looked but because I was very easily fatigued and the edema in my legs gave me a hard time walking for long distances. I was very much overweight during and right after giving birth and my road to recovery took longer than expected because I gave birth via C-section. Resuming daily activities and now, Mommy duties proved to be a herculean task for me. But still I was determined to not look like a mom and of course to be healthier and leaner for my age.

A big concern for would-be dieters who just had a baby is the breastfeeding. I must stress out that for breastfeeding mothers; it is a definite NO to dieting. Any type of alteration in a mother’s diet, directly affects the baby. And drastic weight loss leads to body fat being burned and turned into an excreted substance that is harmful to the baby. So how did I go about dieting then? It was an unfortunate yet inevitable choice for me. I had to stop breastfeeding after a month because of the demands of my work as well as the treatment I was undergoing through for a medical clearance which was also job-related. It was a sad decision but with this I had nothing to hold me back to start losing weight.

I grew up in a health-conscious family, which was an advantage for me because I get to eat vegetables and fruits almost everyday. The pantry was stocked with healthy options and I had no trouble following menus for certain diets. Yes, I had to start with decreasing my intake and eating the right kind of food. I wanted to try different “fab” diets but I was too weak to resist cheating on the menus and also most were too confusing to follow so I had to find one thing to give up and stick to it. I gave up eating carbs. I didn’t eat anything sweet, white, and starchy – that meant no rice, no bread, potatoes, and corn. If my family ate together, I ate small amounts of viand and drank lots of water. I ate only little portions of red meat. I didn’t eat junk food or drink soda. I didn’t eat at fast foods. I resisted eating sweets and dessert. A few days into my diet and I felt like I wanted scream. It was very difficult at first but eventually my body adapted. Every week I trained myself to eat as little as possible and only when I was very hungry. Coupled with daily exercise, an hour and a half’s worth of aerobics, I was finally getting a routine set.

A month of doing my routine, I didn’t notice much change. I kept weighing myself and in the end get very disappointed at only a few pounds lost. It was a good thing, my parents and my husband kept encouraging me. At that point, I thought I should’ve just given up, but I persevered. My patience and endurance for resisting good food were put to the test almost everyday. It didn’t help coming from a family who loves good food and I also have very good parents who can cook up such delicious and mouthwatering goodness during every meal. I was very deprived during my weight loss journey.

After a few more weeks of doing my routine and focusing on taking care of my baby, I finally noticed my shirts and pants getting loose. I could wear my old clothes again. I could feel my body getting lighter, and I had more energy. I felt good. People started to notice and I couldn’t believe it. It was because at this point, I stopped looking at the weighing scale for fear of being disappointed once again. After 3-4 months of diligence, I weighed myself that day before my son’s christening. Lo and behold, I lost 39 pounds amazingly enough, and I managed to lose that much with the method I chose. My friends and family gave me such good feedback that I really am very proud of my achievement. My husband too, he couldn’t help but ogle at how good I looked during the celebration. I really am so happy I found the strength and diligence to stick to my diet and exercise routine. So, from a huge 182.6 lb weight to a fair and fit 143 lbs, its safe to say that diet and exercise definitely work and people who support and encourage you during the process, play an important role to keep you motivated. If I can do it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment