Monday, March 1, 2010

A Filipino's First Winter

December of 2007. I consider myself blessed for being here in Wisconsin and experiencing what we Filipinos have never before seen in our entire lives in our warm and 2-season country - that is snow. Perhaps I, like so many others, enjoy the many firsts of being in a foreign land. The excitement of the first snow fall, the moments of anticipation and joy at the sight of falling snow flakes, thinking of capturing each second on camera and basking in the warmth of a heated home so as to escape Jack Frost’s whistle. I am glad to be here and yet I miss my homeland, despite the many discomforts, the people and the traffic, the thought of my family celebrating my success here and also the gift of Christmas is what fills my heart with joy during those moments of despair.

I am a newcomer and I have yet friends with whom I can share memories with and since I am working, I do not mind much. It is with the internet that I stay connected with what I call, a piece of my mind, a piece of my heart. For I have yet, to surrender my fondness for anime and the like. I check my email now and again, I post pictures of my "firsts" and then I go and search for countless things that pop into my head after a hard-day’s work. Ah, yes, work, the one thing I dread during my care-free student years, for I have been suffering a case of "Peter pan syndrome", wishing never to grow up and now, here I am, joining the planks of boring adults.

Rambling on and on about complaints I can never voice out, I sit in a corner of my room each night, contemplating my very reason of being here, and I stare outside my window, the neighbor’s house covered white glistening snow, I close my eyes and find myself in the embrace of my family and I don’t feel so lonesome and alone.

I love the snow, but like each snowflake, the joy of the white gold is just a fleeting moment in time. Give me the warmth of my country, the noise and the pollution, give me the lights of parols and the scent of bibingka, snow is just snow, but my Filipino family is what has been my driving force - their faith, their happiness and their love.

No comments:

Post a Comment