Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Baby Separation Anxiety

My own personal experience of missing my little one is not as serious as most mothers experience. Let me share with you though, how difficult it is to be away from your source of happiness and purpose. I have been away from my son for 4 days now and I have been constantly thinking about how he is. He is being taken cared of by my parents at home and because of business matters, I had to leave my son with them. They are all very capable of taking care of him since they have years of practice with me and my brother but as a fairly new mom, it still is very hard and it definitely yanks your heart strings just missing an angelic face such as this.
I am definitely coping and surviving the nights I have not been sleeping beside my little darling. I know that it is completely natural to feel as if you're incomplete and a big gaping hole has been left in your heart when you know that your little one is in the arms and care of persons other than yourself or your husband. I wonder if my baby knows that I miss him so much? If he has trouble sleeping at night, if he looks for me whenever he does the routine I have established with him? Those are the common questions that plagues my mind during these moments of non-productivity or boredom during work hours.

If you are just like me, I got these tips below to help you cope with what they call "separation anxiety". Usually this is felt by both the mother or primary caregiver and the baby so it helps to be prepared before you leave your little one.

According the the Babycenter Site:

To help the Mommy and Baby weather the goodbye blues:

• Say goodbye in an affectionate but matter-of-fact way. Try not to draw out farewells or let yourself get emotional in response to your baby's crying.
• Stay away once you say goodbye. Resist the temptation to turn back and check if he's OK. This will only make things more difficult for you both.
• If it will make you feel better, call when you get to where you're going. Chances are he stopped crying straight after you left and got diverted by an activity.
• Spend some special time together when you pick up your baby.
• Read the signals and trust your instincts. Does your baby react the same way when your partner does the drop-off? If not, perhaps getting him to do the dropping off is a better alternative. Does he seem unhappy when you pick him up? It's unlikely – but possible – that your baby and the babysitter or carer may just not be a good "fit".

I have done all of these and it makes me feel a lot better knowing from the updates from my parents at home that li'l Caleb is a happy little spud despite me, not being there. My heart aches still, but I know that I have been able to do good things in raising my brave and smart little boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment