Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Establishing a Routine for Your Baby

Establishing a routine for your baby has its ups and downs. I have successfully established an effective schedule for my son and during the first few months, it wasn't as bad as what I have heard from other parents such as myself. Caleb sleeps at around eight or nine in the evening and wakes up at around five or six in the morning. I get my usual five or six hours of sleep and if he does wake up in the middle of the night, it may be once or twice at the most and after a quick change or a warm hug, he is off to dream land once again.

I know that sleep is a major issue for parents during the early months of a baby's life and I pretty much have no complaints as to the adjustment but don't misunderstand me, before I had established a schedule and a bedtime ritual, it took a lot of sleepless nights. Stress and fatigue were my daily companion and there were times that I would almost fall off the wagon and just break from the constant routine. Watching Barney and Sesame Street almost drove me nuts too. But like I said the benefits of having a routine really pay off once your little one is used to it.

I start his day with a hug and a kiss then I give him a sip of water and we play on the bed for fifteen to thirty minutes. We go out to the living room to listen to classical music for at least twenty minutes and if the sun is out, we go out walking outside the house for thirty minutes. I sing to him his favorite nursery rhymes as we walk and after that we go inside and I give Caleb his daily vitamins. Breakfast soon follows and after a short rest, if he is a little sleepy and tired, I allow him a short nap. If he is still a little active, I give him his morning bath and then I read him a story and cradle him to sleep. He usually wakes up after an hour or two and then we go and watch Barney or Sesame Street. If he loses attention, we play games and I give him his toys to play with on the floor. Lunch can be a bottle of milk or some available solid food like fruits or boiled vegetables. Then its clean up time. Afternoon activities vary because sometimes we go and visit our relatives and cousins and sometimes we go to the mall or some place new. Come six in the afternoon, I feed him his dinner and then we watch a little TV and its off to his bedtime routine. First is a warm bath or spongebath, then a baby massage, a story and a little soft music and lullaby. After that we say goodnight to my parents who we still live with and Caleb usually is tired out by playing a little more and then we say our prayers and I give my baby his bedtime bottle and then I lay him in his crib and kiss him goodnight. That's our usual routine at home and I have been doing that ever since.

There are also days when we go for trips in the car, trips to the doctor, unavoidable appointments and sick days and there are alterations in the schedule, of course, when it comes to the welfare of your son or daughter, you have to be flexible. So, the downside of having a routine is that when a familiar environment, i.e. our house and the familiar items and things that are always used and seen by the baby are not present, the routine is changed or altered. The bedtime and naptimes as well as feeding times are varied and the activities and even the people who hold and care for the baby change too. During these days, expect tantrums and irritability, missed naps, and disturbed sleeping patterns. These are unavoidable but once you re-establish the routine, you are once again having fun and worrying less when it comes to taking care of your baby.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. We LOVE our routines and schedules. Well, I do. My kids are getting to the age where they think they can have their own ideals LOL and we have suspended the schedule temporarily.

    Found you from Link Referral, hope you will check out my blog! :)

    Thanks,
    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete